On the fly preview

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Hi,

excellent work so far!!!

Feature request #1: "autoclose" feature

Benefit: on the fly "preview" of the selected palette without having to reclick the dropdown button on palette browsing. Thus allowing the user to preview several palettes immediately by clicking the corresponding context menu palette items. In my opinion this gives a more responsive user interface and performance feeling:

AutoClose = false: after a palette change  the context menu would not close. Of course the palette change would be applied both for the context menu displayed as well as for the application immediately. As a visual feedback a checkmark symbol would be applied for the currently selected palette item.

AutoClose = true: no change compared to the current operation.

Possible implementation: the krypton ContextMenuItems have already an AutoClose property leaving the context menu open after selecting the menu item.

The interesting part is to update the context menu with the palette selection without closing it. Krypton 4.3.0 does not refresh the context menu with the new palette. To do so the context menu has to be closed and reopened. I have tried everything from Application.DoEvents to this.perform.NeedPaint(true) and also this.recalcNonClient() and this.Refresh() without any effect. Is there a trick?

One workaround would be to achieve the reopen behaviour to subscribe to the contextmenu's opening event, register the menu's location in a temporary variable and reopen the menu programmatically at the same display position from it's closing event? Or inherit from the krypton context menu? (Link to similar topic in Krypton Forum)

(link programmatical invocation of krypton contextmenu)

Feature request #2: alternative palette names

In global palette mode allow to assign and display an alternative name for each palette. Eg. you call "office 2010 blue" as "magic blue style" in your application. Also the term "palette" could have alternate text display eg. style(s) / skin(s)

Keep up the good work!!!

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback!   I have been away from this project for a while and won't likely have time to make those changes anytime soon.  Would you like to become a committer?

Cheers!
-Sean